Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Rhythms

I've been thinking about rhythms lately: daily rhythms, seasonal rhythms, the rhythms of life.

With my foray back into the work world this week, our daily rhythm has been thrown for a loop.  Seth is figuring out how to take care of Bea and his business.  I have to figure out how to be the mom I want to be and work.  At work, I have to work out a rhythm to my pumping that matches Bea's nursing level.  And, Bea, Miss Bea has to figure out meals from a bottle and napping without nursing.  Today, she, Sappho and I headed out into the pouring rain for a walk at 4:30 to convince this over-tired girl to nap for the first time today.  Because when all else fails, she cannot fight long against the rhythm of walking before she falls asleep.

No matter how old we are, it is these daily rhythms, practices, and rituals that we have that allow us to pause, to breathe deeply, to regain our sense of place, to sleep well.  I think that a walk after work with Bea and Sappho just might part of our new rhythm.

1 comment: